Zionism – and its creation, Israel – gave that prejudice the excuse to breathe again. Deep down in the European consciousness, there lingers a conviction that the world would be better without the Jews. But as anti-semitism is now an unfashionable tool for achieving this goal, the way to do it is by destroying the “Zionist entity”. Last year, Rabbi Sacks made this point by quoting the Israeli author Amos Oz: “In the 30s, anti-Semites declared, ‘Jews to Palestine’. Today they shout, ‘Jews out of Palestine’. They don’t want us to be there; they don’t want us to be here; they don’t want us to be.”
The time has come for the Jewish leadership to stop behaving as though Jews were strangers in the land and act with courage to fight the antisemitism camouflaged as anti-Zionism. My Christian PA asked me what the difference was between a Jew and a Zionist. After explaining the distinction, I realised that in the eyes of the world, there was none. And just as nothing Jews do would lead to the end of anti-semitism, nothing Israel does will lead to the end of anti-Zionism, for they are both expressions of hatred of the Jews.
When British politicians are asked whether they are Zionists, they often respond by redefining the term to mean the right of Israel to exist in secure borders. Why is there this need to define the word? Because the word “Zionist” is being used by anti-Semites. They describe Israel as “the Zionist entity” and declare that Zionism – the Jewish movement for the right of self-determination in one country in the entire world – is expansionist, racist, fascist, apartheid and imperialist. Untold numbers have been persuaded that it is a movement designed to enable Jews to take over the world.
- Shame On The Liberals Who Rationalise Terror
- France, Islam, And The Second Class Sex
- Isis Is Not Invincible — If The West Has The Will
- After Paris, Who Will Speak For France?
- The Establishment Is In Denial — Yet Again
- Don't Patronise Muslims: Integrate Them Properly
- The Israel Boycotters Who Threaten Us All
- Britain Is A Free Country — Thanks To The Queen
- Is British Democracy Still For The People?
- The Great Climate Change Boondoggle
- Obama's Iran Deal Makes The World More Dangerous
- 'Anti-Extremists' Who Equate Israel With IS
- Russia's Moment: How Putin Has Seized The Day
- The Jihadist Challenge To The Nation State
- The Stalinist Past Of Corbyn’s Strategist
- Bank Recapitalisation And The Great Recession
- Licence To Chill? Not Yet, Prime Minister
- Money Can't Buy Us Love: Profiting From Loneliness
- More Immigration Means Less Integration
- Is France As Doomed As Houellebecq Thinks?