Zionism – and its creation, Israel – gave that prejudice the excuse to breathe again. Deep down in the European consciousness, there lingers a conviction that the world would be better without the Jews. But as anti-semitism is now an unfashionable tool for achieving this goal, the way to do it is by destroying the “Zionist entity”. Last year, Rabbi Sacks made this point by quoting the Israeli author Amos Oz: “In the 30s, anti-Semites declared, ‘Jews to Palestine’. Today they shout, ‘Jews out of Palestine’. They don’t want us to be there; they don’t want us to be here; they don’t want us to be.”
The time has come for the Jewish leadership to stop behaving as though Jews were strangers in the land and act with courage to fight the antisemitism camouflaged as anti-Zionism. My Christian PA asked me what the difference was between a Jew and a Zionist. After explaining the distinction, I realised that in the eyes of the world, there was none. And just as nothing Jews do would lead to the end of anti-semitism, nothing Israel does will lead to the end of anti-Zionism, for they are both expressions of hatred of the Jews.
When British politicians are asked whether they are Zionists, they often respond by redefining the term to mean the right of Israel to exist in secure borders. Why is there this need to define the word? Because the word “Zionist” is being used by anti-Semites. They describe Israel as “the Zionist entity” and declare that Zionism – the Jewish movement for the right of self-determination in one country in the entire world – is expansionist, racist, fascist, apartheid and imperialist. Untold numbers have been persuaded that it is a movement designed to enable Jews to take over the world.
- Mr Gove, Here Is Our Statute of Liberty
- A British Bill Of Rights
- Something For Nothing Just Won't Do Any More
- Ditch Ed Miliband's Crazy Energy Legacy
- The English Public School: An Apologia
- An Open Letter To Nicky Morgan
- Escape The Heat: Head To London's Crow's Nests
- Collusion Cut Both Ways In The Troubles
- Decline Of The East? The Chinese Say No
- Conservative, Moi? Jamais De La Vie!
- How To Rescue Iraq From Obama's Folly
- Europe Must Never Again Betray Its Jews
- David Cameron Must Govern With Humility
- Don't Write Off First-Time Voters
- Time For A Leaner BBC To Pay Its Way
- The Night Scotland Turned Yellow
- Is Nicky's Knack To Put Teachers First?
- The Conservatives' Capital Conundrum
- Labour Doesn't Get Why The Tories Won
- Mapping The Rocky Road To A British Bill Of Rights