Hugh Gordon Porteus was a minor but engaging figure in London’s pre-war bohemia
Hillbilly Elegy, J.D. Vance's memoir of his Appalachian upbringing, is required reading for understanding why Americans rejected Hillary
An exhibition of Australian Impressionism demonstrates the movement’s global reach
The America of Bill Buckley and Victor Navasky is gone. Elitist journalism is marginalised
A superb new film vividly portrays the use and abuse of scripture by slavers to justify their evil acts
Harriet Walter as Prospero and Glenda Jackson as Lear redress Shakespeare’s gender imbalance
The French composer failed to understand the marvel of music — that notes can convey meaning
Standpoint's arts and culture section
- Party Lines
- The West is Best, But Only for the Rest
- Meet Katya Apekisheva, Jack Liebeck and Tolstoy...
- The Sublime Soviet
- Cain Isn't Able and Newt Defies Gravity
- Transatlantic Vanity Project
- Overrated: Umberto Eco
- A Battle that Must be Won
- Pride and Prejudice
- The Limits of Liberty
- How Low Can We Go?
- The Philosopher and His Scholar
- Do we value freedom of speech in Britain?
- Obama scuttles. America retreats. Things fall apart
- Should We Know About our Leaders' Health?
- Overrated: Ed Balls
- Underrated: Claude Lanzmann
- Warning to the US: Don't Play by Islamic Rules
- Not All Roads Lead to Rome
- Post-Apocalypse Now in Islington
Popular Standpoint topics