Why is nobody composing great music? Because we have neglected its true source.
Michael Bloch's deft biography turns Jeremy Thorpe's life into a page-turning narrative
A new exhibition tries to resurrect the reputation of Sir Joshua Reynolds
Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, superbly adapted for television, is brilliant because it defies easy definition
A superb new film vividly portrays the use and abuse of scripture by slavers to justify their evil acts
Despite its intractable subject matter, The Hard Problem is an elegant and ingenious work
Nervousness surrounds the search by the world's most admired orchestra for a new chief conductor
Standpoint's arts and culture section
- Not in Front of the Children
- Blurred Visionary
- Yes, I'm still here
- Grief Tied Up in Narrative Bows
- Rook of Gibraltar
- War Crimes Without War?
- Anthony Jay
- Israel's Tragic Hero-Victim
- Uncharitable Thoughts
- Meet Katya Apekisheva, Jack Liebeck and Tolstoy...
- Careless History Costs Lives
- Why The World Still Loves Shakespeare
- The Art of the Well-made Play
- Mother Of All Jokes
- Let's Get Buzzy
- Haven't We Seen This One Before?
- The Zombie Argument that Refuses to Die
- High-Minded Or Hot Air?
- Prisoners of Bad Conscience
- European Profligacy
Popular Standpoint topics