James Mumford at Euston station: “She was gone, with my bag. I’m panicking, darting in and out of people trying to spot her”
The woman came up to me as I was rushing from the Victoria Tube line to the Piccadilly, deep below King's Cross railway station. It was 6pm on Maundy Thursday and the walkways were packed.
"Can you help me?" she said.
Her blondish hair was long and unkempt; she had carrier bags underneath each arm; she looked highly disorientated. And her haggard appearance made her age difficult to determine.
"I'm trying to get to King's Cross station."
"This is King's Cross," I replied, pointing to the red National Rail logo on a nearby sign.
"What about them?" she said, of the Tube stop listings beneath.
"Forget about those," I said.
"I've got to get to Manchester."
"You're in the right place. Just follow the red logo and it'll take you to the rail station."
That this was going to be beyond her did not take long to ascertain.
"I've been walking in circles for so long."
I tried quickly to appraise the situation: the woman was clearly not with it; it was unlikely she was going to find the rail station by herself; but there were no Underground staff to be seen.
Also, I was in a rush.
"I'll take you up to the station," I said.
- How Jeremy Corbyn's Coup Hijacked Labour
- Corbyn's Signpost Back To The Ghetto
- Unionists, Don't Despair: Scotland Is Not Lost — Yet
- Britain's Apologists For Child Abuse
- Lift The Fee Cap And Set Universities Free
- The Story Behind One Dead Man's Penny
- Hitler's 'Ecological Panic' Didn't Cause The Holocaust
- Meet The Montalvos: The First Global Family
- Mr Gove, Here Is Our Statute of Liberty
- A British Bill Of Rights
- Something For Nothing Just Won't Do Any More
- Ditch Ed Miliband's Crazy Energy Legacy
- The English Public School: An Apologia
- An Open Letter To Nicky Morgan
- Escape The Heat: Head To London's Crow's Nests
- Collusion Cut Both Ways In The Troubles
- Decline Of The East? The Chinese Say No
- Conservative, Moi? Jamais De La Vie!
- How To Rescue Iraq From Obama's Folly
- Europe Must Never Again Betray Its Jews