James Mumford at Euston station: “She was gone, with my bag. I’m panicking, darting in and out of people trying to spot her”
The woman came up to me as I was rushing from the Victoria Tube line to the Piccadilly, deep below King's Cross railway station. It was 6pm on Maundy Thursday and the walkways were packed.
"Can you help me?" she said.
Her blondish hair was long and unkempt; she had carrier bags underneath each arm; she looked highly disorientated. And her haggard appearance made her age difficult to determine.
"I'm trying to get to King's Cross station."
"This is King's Cross," I replied, pointing to the red National Rail logo on a nearby sign.
"What about them?" she said, of the Tube stop listings beneath.
"Forget about those," I said.
"I've got to get to Manchester."
"You're in the right place. Just follow the red logo and it'll take you to the rail station."
That this was going to be beyond her did not take long to ascertain.
"I've been walking in circles for so long."
I tried quickly to appraise the situation: the woman was clearly not with it; it was unlikely she was going to find the rail station by herself; but there were no Underground staff to be seen.
Also, I was in a rush.
"I'll take you up to the station," I said.
- Mr Cameron, Show The Country That You Care
- Campaign Diary
- Defying Duopoly: The Rise Of The Insurgents
- Don't Rig The System In Favour Of Coalitions
- Warring Gangsters Who Run The Country
- Political Correctness Is Devouring Itself
- An Archival Treasure Trove—And All Online
- Do we value freedom of speech in Britain?
- Can Europe's Jews Feel Safe Alongside Muslims?
- We Cannot Avoid The Battle Over Blasphemy
- Inside The World Of 'Non-Violent' Islamism
- We Can Fix The Economy But Not Human Nature
- The Keynesian Versus The Monetarist: A Lost Decade
- The Keynesian Versus The Monetarist: Time To Re-Read Keynes
- The New Language Of Political Narcissism
- Two Words You Won't Hear This Election: Foreign Policy
- The Many Faces Of Holocaust Denial
- Why Is 'Fifty Shades of Grey' the New Normal?
- Obama scuttles. America retreats. Things fall apart
- Putin and the Art of Political Fantasy