With the Ministry of Justice planning to cut £2bn from its £9bn budget, it’s good to see the Supreme Court doing its bit by hiring out its premises for corporate events, weddings and bar mitzvahs.
I have been sent a copy of the letter in which the president of the High Court Family Division tells the body responsible for administering legal aid of the "grave danger" that the family justice system "will simply implode" because of the way contracts for child-care cases have been awarded. Brief extracts were published in the Sunday Telegraph today.
I was delighted to see that Michael Supperstone QC, a friend since my university days (1968-71), was recently appointed a High Court judge. But, despite what Downing Street believes, he was not a circuit judge before he joined the High Court.
Lord Saville has delivered a judgment today. You can read it here.
Joshua Rozenberg is an independent legal commentator who presents Law in Action on BBC Radio 4.
- Dictators' Justice
- Judge shows poor judgment once again
- Judge goes on too long
- A victory for free speech
- Prosecutor's abuse of process leads to unfair trial
- All political careers end in failure
- Universal Nonsense
- New 'Sumption
- Politicians can't lie? Whatever next!
- Quangos (Bonfire) Bill
- Yes, I'm still here
- Most of them are good here
- Prosecutor survives, but only just
- CPS responds to "Hell on Earth" judge