BY ALEXANDER MELEAGROU-HITCHENS¬†¬†
Hello to all the readers of the new Standpoint blog.
This particular blog will focus on the¬†issues surrounding Islamist activity both in the UK and abroad.¬†¬†Islamism, also known as political Islam, is not to be confused with Islam the religion.¬†The former is a political¬†ideology rooted in a literal and puritanical interpretation of the latter (specifically Saudi Arabia's Wahhabi-Salafi creed),¬†usually devoted to creating a ‚Äėperfect Islamic society' under sharia law.¬†
It is the ideology of Islamism which is the primary root cause of jihadist terror, and the proponents and apologists of this ideology¬†must be discredited and resisted in a liberal and just manner.¬†This can be difficult,¬†because those who dare to do so¬†are¬†often branded as ‚ÄėIslamophobes'.
I have a special interest in Islamist pressure groups, which seek to¬†move the discourse on terrorism and radicalisation towards discussions of how liberal democracies can adapt themselves to Islamist ideals, and alter their policies in order to appease terrorism.¬†
Through this blog, I hope to expose and analyse both how various Islamist groups operate and also the approach taken by the government in either supporting or opposing them.¬† I will also cover in particular the two prototypical Islamist groups, the Jamaat e-Islami and the Muslim Brotherhood, and attempt to¬† give readers a good grasp on why these groups are a threat and how they can be opposed.
Focus on Islamism is a blog dedicated to¬†analysing and exposing the modern ideological phenomenon known as Islamism.
Shiraz Maher is a writer and¬†broadcaster.
Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens is a¬†PhD student at King's College, London.¬† He has contributed to various online and printed publications including, The Daily Telegraph, Lebanon's Daily Star, Standpoint and NOWLebanon.¬†
To contact the authors, click here
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed ‚ÄĒ Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One