I honestly don't know what to say about this one.
On the one hand, it's become a depressingly familiar tale - a young Pakistani émigré to the West arrested on terrorism charges. A statement released by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police yesterday reveals:
After an exhaustive national security criminal investigation led by the RCMP "A" Division Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (AINSET), three individuals were charged today with various offenses under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
It is alleged that these individuals had both the capacity and the intention to carry out a terrorist attack, making them a serious threat to the Canadian public.
One of those arrested, Khuram Sher, before turning to terrorism had previously auditioned for Canadian Idol. You couldn't make it up.
Focus on Islamism is a blog dedicated to analysing and exposing the modern ideological phenomenon known as Islamism.
Shiraz Maher is a writer and broadcaster.
Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens is a PhD student at King's College, London. He has contributed to various online and printed publications including, The Daily Telegraph, Lebanon's Daily Star, Standpoint and NOWLebanon.
To contact the authors, click here
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One
- Breivik and Anti-Muslim Bigotry
- Who'd be a TLA?
- Daniel Johnson on Elena Bonner
- In praise of the essay
- Told You So
- Analysis: Al-Qaeda After Bin Laden