Newsnight has broken the story of a British man, Abdul Jabbar, being killed in a US drone strike in North Waziristan last month. Jabbar is believed to have been linked to the Taliban (specifically, to the Haqqani network) and also to the failed Time Square bomber Faisal Shahzad who was sentenced to life in jail yesterday in New York.
The news comes against the backdrop of a dramatically raised terror threat across Europe with governments warning of possible attacks in Britain, France and Germany. Certainly, the rise in drone attacks across Pakistan's tribal area suggests the US has credible and actionable intelligence.
Days before the ‘underpants bomber' Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab attempted to blow up a transatlantic flight the US launched a series of drone attacks against al-Qaeda hotspots in Yemen. Intelligence officials knew al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula was planning an attack against American interests and that it was imminent. What they did not know, however, was that Abdulmutallab had already left Yemen by the time they droned suspect sites. The spike in drone attacks in Pakistan coupled with travel advisory warnings suggests, again, that there is credible evidence of another big plot.
Theinvolvement of yet another British citizen in these attacks underscores the ongoing importance and relvance of the British jihad network to the global Islamist nexus.
Focus on Islamism is a blog dedicated to analysing and exposing the modern ideological phenomenon known as Islamism.
Shiraz Maher is a writer and broadcaster.
Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens is a PhD student at King's College, London. He has contributed to various online and printed publications including, The Daily Telegraph, Lebanon's Daily Star, Standpoint and NOWLebanon.
To contact the authors, click here
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One
- Breivik and Anti-Muslim Bigotry
- Who'd be a TLA?
- Daniel Johnson on Elena Bonner
- In praise of the essay
- Told You So