Lord Phillips, the court's president, commented: "Lord Justice Wilson will prove a valuable asset to this court as another judge with a family law background". Surely Lady Hale fulfils that role already?
This morning's announcement was made just in time. Wilson was hearing his first case at the court less than half an hour later — though I'm told he would have been sitting as an additional judge even if the appointment hadn't been announced. Might have been a bit of a clue, though.
No hurry with Sumption, though: he'll take up his post "as soon as his existing professional commitments are completed", with no explanation of when that might be. It all depends on whether he's booked to appear in the appeal from the hearing he's doing in the autumn, I suppose.
Writing here in February, I said "It's expected that Jonathan Sumption QC will be appointed to one of the current vacancies in the supreme court". So yah, boo, shucks to paulio84 who said it was not.
Joshua Rozenberg is an independent legal commentator who presents Law in Action on BBC Radio 4.
- Standpoint Presenting Two Debates At HowTheLightGetsIn 2016
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson